Skip To Main Content
Moving to London

A very warm welcome to London! Moving overseas can be a stressful experience, so we have put together a broad range of information to support your move.

Parent Orientation Booklet

This booklet has been developed by parents and staff at the school to help you with planning your arrival in London and for the early months when you begin to settle in. We have also included a section entitled, 'Transitions, what is all the fuss about?', which will help you understand the emotional stress associated with moving overseas. We do hope that it helps.

Visa Requirements

Students must have the correct immigration status to be enrolled at Dwight School London. Students cannot be enrolled if they are in the UK on a tourist or visitor visa. Accompanying parents or guardians must also have the correct immigration status to live in London while their children are enrolled at the school.

We recommend that families use the UK government’s online tool to check their visa requirements, and if necessary, seek professional legal advice. You may wish to speak the contact below, who has advised many of our families:

ECA Legal

Ben Elton | +44(0) 207 255 0576 |

Important information for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who have EU Pre-Settled or Settled Status will need to share their official status confirmation with us. If they do not have either status, they will require a Student Visa to study at Dwight.

The UK Government has compiled guidance for EU, EEA & Swiss citizens:

Homestay and Guardianship Service

As an international, diverse, friendly and vibrant day school in North London, Dwight School prides itself on all aspects of its community. We welcome students to apply to the school from a range of international settings and we are rapidly becoming a destination for students who want to consider a homestay experience as part of their time as a Dwight School student. “Homestay” refers to students either living with homestay host families or with relatives. The school does not have its own boarding facilities, however, we consider applications for students aged 16 and above who would like to live with a registered homestay family or close relative.

A homestay arrangement enables students to fully integrate into the local mainstream society and culture. It also gives students a greater level of independence, which allows them to build confidence and self-reliance in a totally different country.

“When I arrived at school last year I found them really friendly. They guided me around the school and introduced the class to me. Also, they help a lot with my life in the UK - like the transportation - and really care if I am having a good time living in London.”

- Ricky, Dwight homestay student

There are a number of reputable homestay agencies in London who find students a host family offering suitable accommodation that is clean, healthy and a safe environment. The agency matches students with a home that is accessible to school by public transport, where they can immerse themselves in the local culture.

Reputable homestay agencies will visit the potential host families and ensure their homes meet the requirements set out by local authorities. All students living with homestay families must also have a UK guardian agreement. Guardianship can usually be arranged by homestay agencies.

There are a number of homestay agencies registered with the British Council. You can find a list of reputable agencies here.  

We invite prospective families to contact these agencies directly for more information on the variety of accommodation and costs. These homestay arrangements are made directly between the family and the homestay organisation and the school has no financial interest in these arrangements.

All students wishing to live in London independent of their families and in a homestay arrangement must go through the same application process as all Dwight applicants. See the admissions page for more details.

Living with friends or family
In some cases Dwight may agree to students living with family friends or relatives, but these people may need to be registered with the local authority. Please contact us to discuss this.

UKVI Student Sponsor
For students who require a Student Visa to come to the UK, Dwight can offer a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) that can be used by students to apply at the relevant consulate. We require any students/families needing a Student Visa to use the Visa & Immigration Services of ECA Legal, who will ensure that all of the requisite documentation is in order for Dwight to then issue the CAS.

Because of local safeguarding regulations, we require that all students here independently on a Student Visa be aged 16+. (This may mean a late start for some students, or that parents accompany them for the first few weeks). Please note that the full year’s tuition fees must be paid in advance for students requiring a CAS.