|Friday, 17th June 2016 ||Early Years Newsletter |
This Week's News from Kindergarten
This week we:
- observed our caterpillars and saw that they are getting bigger every day. We are waiting patiently to observe the next stage in their life cycle.
- read the Very Hungry Caterpillar so that we could remember the changes that will occur.
- read a non-fiction book about caterpillars and had a quiz to see how much information we could remember. Roan could remember the word Metamorphosis!!
- had a focus on ladybirds. We painted and drew them and read stories such as The Bad Tempered Ladybird and What the Ladybird Heard. We also received some ladybird larvae so that we can observe them changing.
- we used the spots on the ladybird to do some counting and doubling.
- learnt about symmetry and made some butterfly prints and symmetrical string prints.
- played some alliteration games where the children thought about words beginning with the same sounds.
- made Father’s Day cakes and cards.
- talked about similarities and differences between ourselves and others.
- learnt about the sound ‘o’ and read some words using the sounds we have learnt so far.
Next week we will:
- focus more on similarities and differences and will use the story of Elmer as a starting point.
- draw self-portraits so that we can talk about our features.
- do some addition and subtraction in practical contexts.
- go on a trip to Golders Hill Park where we will have a wildlife workshop.
- Three-way conferences will take place on Tuesday. Traditionally the children attend with you and we look through the learning journey talking about favourite experiences they have had during the year. It is a meeting to celebrate student achievement.
- We are going on a trip to Golders Hill Park on Wednesday, 22nd June, we will take packed lunches and snacks with us. (If your child usually has a school dinner, they will be provided with a packed lunch from school) If your child does not normally attend school on a Wednesday, they are still very welcome to join us.
- With the changeable weather, please check in the morning and ensure your child has a raincoat/sunscreen as appropriate.
- We are attending workshops until 3.00pm so it is possible we may arrive back at school slightly after 3.30pm
- The Holiday Club booking form is now available on the school website. The deadline for booking is 1st July.
Have a great weekend, Ms. Tomlin, Mrs. Voica, Miss. Olver, Mrs. Psaras
| || |
This Week's News from Reception
This week we have:
- continued filling, emptying and estimating quantities of water and sand in different containers.
- learnt what a litre of water looks like!
- visited Grovelands Park and found caterpillars, snails, a heron and looked for ladybirds.
- observed caterpillars in the classroom as they build cocoons!
- observed ladybird larvae and put them outside on leaves where they should hatch at some point!
- baked a cake using balancing scales to balance one ingredient with another!
- reviewed the letter sounds y, z, zz, qu reading words and spelling too!
- made ladybirds with closing wings using paper plates
Written sentences about features of ladybirds.
- made Father’s Day cards - they are in the children’s school bags!
- drawn a picture of ‘dad’ to go in a fridge magnet - they’re in their bags too!
- listened to the story of the Bad Tempered Ladybird.
- made animal puppets from the Bad Tempered Ladybird story and acted out the different parts.
- watched a video clip showing the lifecycle of the ladybird.
Golders Hill Park Trip
Please ensure the children come to school on Wednesday with appropriate weather attire for the trip. This should include a rain jacket, or sunscreen if needed! They will be wearing wellies so please ensure these are at school ready. We are attempting to be back at school for 3.30pm, however our workshop there is scheduled for 2-3pm. Please be advised we might be a few minutes late!
Have a good weekend.
Mrs. G Weber Miss C Pitts Mrs. D Fawbert
| || |